Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Write or Wrong?

Why do I write? The answer is simple. I write because I have to. Even though my brain is sometimes in a state of paralysis because the words in my head are not recognizable by spell check, in general, words let me fly.

As a little girl I would write poetry. The romantic flowing language captivated me even then. I think I was drawn to poetry also because there were no rules. I don’t like rules. I don’t tend to follow them, in life and in writing. It gave me the freedom to not have to worry about grammar.

I think in words that are constantly narrorating my life. Some people might say these are simply voices in my head. Those people may be right but I think everything in life is a story, a joke or an experience. I write the emotion, the flavors, and the sounds with or without a pen.

I also love the physical act of writing. All of my poetry is written in a simple black binder on classic unlined white paper. I love writing cards, letters and notes on a heavy stock paper with a fountain tip pen. I pretend I am Audrey Hepburn writing love letters in long fluid motions that will travel across oceans to me pressed against the lips of a lost love. A written word is powerful, simplistic and quite handsome. Words are beautiful. It is because of my love of people and communication that I took as many foreign languages as I could. I found I loved words in all languages. French words are all sweet, even when they mean not so nice things. In German every word is strong, honorable and on time. Russian words are powerful, and flow together like strong rapids in a fast strong river. English. Oh what to say about English. Well first there is proper English spoken in England by beautiful men with bad teeth wearing pants that come in close to their ankles and make reading the comics sound regal. And then there is what Americans speak. The English language apart from being the most confusing, the most unphonetical, and with the most exceptions to rules (you think that would make me like it) aside from all that I find, when American speak it, it sounds less like a language and more like an engine grinding. Then there is Italian. Italian is my home, my heart, combined with comfort and beauty into one song.

I once heard a quote from a famous actress. When asked when she decided that she wanted to be an actor she said “I never had a choice”. That is true of me and writing. Even though it took about fifteen attempts on the correct spelling of narrator…which I still think I got wrong and is often the source of constant frustration at trying to figure out commas, prepositions and definitions, there is nothing more I love than words. Words are the sunlight of my life. They make the people in my life, along with my experiences, ideas, hopes and dreams glow.

Words are just write for me:-) You don’t even want to get me started on puns!

Your girl,

Lucky

No comments: