Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Billion Dollar Question

Well nothing really exciting happened over the weekend. I went to PA to go to my ex-boyfriend, Eric #2’s wedding. Hung out with my best friends from home, lost my wallet had it returned to me by two lesbians, got to see some of my fabulous sorority sisters during Delta Nu Alumni weekend and visit my Aunt and Uncle’s new house. All in all a pretty relaxing weekend.

So I will tell a little story on why I am here today. I am here and not living in a Palace or a penthouse in London because I ignored a Billionaire's affection 3 years ago.

On quite memorable trip to London, Paris, Dusseldorf, Kohl and Amsterdam I met “the billionaire” who will be referred to as Bill. I was traveling with my other half/power couple/rock star best friend whom we will refer to as “Dean” and our friend Levi. I was visiting a friend from high school who was currently engaged to a Brazilian artist she met in college whose family now lived in London. We got to stay 3 blocks away from Harrods in an area called “Knightsbridge”. When the customs people asked me where I was going to be staying I promptly replied “Three blocks away from Harrods”. For those of you don’t know Harrods is the Saks of London. Then again if you know Saks you most likely will know Harrods. If you don’t know you are probably a straight male and for you sake all you have know is it is a nice store. After an odd inquisitive look toward this New York gal with a Yankee accent…the customs rep said “You know they are having their semi annual sale Miss”. My reply “Oh, yes I am aware”.

One of our first nights Dean and Levi went out on the town and my high school friend Amelia and I went to a bar to meet her friends in Piccadilly Circus the Times Square of London. –As you can gather now New York is my primary form of reference--. We ended up meeting two of her friends. Both were sweet. Both were from the United Arab Emirates. The only reference I have to this small country is from Model UN, which I never participated in…but everyone I have ever known who did Model UN ended up representing the UAE. Anyway it was apparent that on of the gentlemen (and they were gentlemen) was interested in me. I was a little overloaded with men at the time because I had just made out with a very attractive Indian gentleman (he was not a gentleman) and was currently talking to the most gorgeous Australian. He had blonde hair and blue blue eyes. Blue eyes are my weakness. I asked him for a light as he walked by. The Aussie stopped went back to his table, got a light, light my cigarette and told me I looked like I owned the place. He was gorgeous and I enjoyed talking to him…but I returned to my friend and the UAE. I asked Bill what he would like to drink. He gave me an inquisitive look (apparently these were in fashion in London because I got them everywhere). “Scotch” he said. I ordered two glasses of scotch on the rocks and gave him one. I don’t think he had ever had a girl buy him a drink before. We talked danced and really enjoyed each others company. Amelia and her other friend were off somewhere. He was tall, had kind eyes and a sweet smile. I wanted to kiss him but didn’t because I thought it would be somewhat slutty to have kissed three boys from three different continents in one night. Two was acceptable but three was crossing the line. We danced and then he talked about throwing me a party when I returned from Paris. In the cab ride home (yes in on of those very cliché British taxis) Amelia told me she had never seen “Bill” so into a girl. That he had dated quite a few but she saw a spark in his eyes. “He couldn’t stop talking about you”. She said. I was glowing. I had seen it in him too. It has started to rain and the cobble stone streets of London were slick and wet. Then she dropped the bomb. “You know he is a billionaire Lucky”. She said. I stopped in my tracks. “Billionaire” she continued. “He lives in a million dollar flat all by himself and wears track suits to the finest restaurants in London because he is well known”. As soon as the words left her mouth I felt uncomfortable. I liked him but money confuses things…was I liking him more now, now that I knew? And then it hit me like a ton of bricks “Manolo Blahnik”. It rang through my head like cherub angels singing the Hallelujah chorus. I could have any pair of shoes that I wanted. If I married him I could have any pair of shoes for the rest of my life. Most people think houses, jets, boats and while those are nice I only thought shoes. I thought about calling him but something held me back. I liked him but now I didn’t know why. He tried calling me we weren’t able to connect. From time to time I wonder. When I am in a haze of memos, phone calls and cubicles I think, what if? What if I had gone out with him? What if it had turned into something? What if I married billionaire? I guess we'll never know. Now whenever I go on dates I say to myself "You girl are worth a billion" and I smile. Well, because it is true even if I am in Franco Sarto (bought on sale) and not Manolos (for you straight guys they are both shoes, nice shoes).


Your girl,

Lucky

No comments: